Bishop Minerva Cacano said: "Here are some things we can do now as [people of] the church:
- Write op-eds for our local newspapers standing with President Obama in his call for comprehensive immigration reform;
- Contact your Congressional leaders and let them know that United Methodists stand for comprehensive immigration reform;
- Blog about our commitment to justice for our immigrant brothers and sisters;
- Observe Family Unity Prayer Vigils in your area in the month of February. There is power in prayer!
- One of the most important aspects of the just and humane immigration reform we are advocating for is reunification of families separated by migration."
She continues by saying: "We ask you to focus on three areas of concern:
- Protection for immigrants,
- Empowerment of people of faith to speak out more boldly for immigrants, and
- Moral courage for Members of Congress to exercise leadership in enacting humane immigration reform.
I stand ready to support you in any way I can. Above all, may God be our help!
Your Sister in Christ,
Bishop Minerva Cacano"